16 November 1798
- 1864 – Federal General W.T. Sherman and his troops began their infamous “March to the Sea” campaign of war crimes against civilians and the wholesale devastation of private property in Georgia.
- 1907 – Indian Territory became Oklahoma, the 46th U.S. state.
- 1915 – Coca-Cola had its prototype for a countoured bottle patented. The bottle made its commercial debut the next year.
- 1957 – Jim Brown of St, Simon, Georgia while playing for the Cleveland Browns set an NFL season rushing record of 1163 yards after only eight games.
- 1999 – Johnny Depp of Kentucky received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved
From Today in Southern History Original Story