21 November 1836
On this date in 1836 – Seminole warriors defeated American troops on the Withlacoochee River in the Battle of Wahoo Swamp, killing Creek army officer David Moniac, the first American Indian West Point graduate.
- 1654 – Richard Johnson, a free black, received a grant of 550 acres in Virginia.
- 1789 – North Carolina ratified the U.S. Constitution and became the 12th U.S. state.
- 1860 – American soldier and gunman Tom Horn was born in Scotland County, Missouri.
- 1864 – Confederate General John B. Hood led 30,000 infantry and 8,000 cavalry from Florence, Alabama into Tennessee.
- 1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy flew to Texas and his date with destiny.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved
From Today in Southern History Original Story