3 June 1808
On this date in 1808…
Confederate President Jefferson Davis was born in Fairview, Kentucky. Today is a traditional holiday in Southern states.
- 1864 – Confederate defenders mowed down a doomed frontal assault by 12,000 of General Ulysses S. Grant’s invading federal troops at the Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia.
- 1861 – The C.S.S. Sumter was officially designated.
- 1539 – After being in Florida for only a few days, Spanish Conquistador Hernando de Soto became one of many to claim Florida for the King of Spain.
- 1833 – U.S. Secretary of War Lewis Cass directly ordered the United States Marshal’s office to remove white settlers from Creek land in Alabama.
- 1965 – Astronaut Ed White of Texas became the first Southerner and the first American to walk in space.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved