4 June 1754
On this date in 1754…
Colonel George Washington and his small British and Virginian military force started construction of Fort Necessity during the French and Indian War.
- 1812 – Most of Louisiana Territory was officially renamed Missouri Territory.
- 1816 – The first double-decker steamboat, the Washington, was launched at Wheeling in western Virginia.
- 1862 – Confederate troops evacuated Fort Pillow, Tennessee to avoid encirclement by invading federal naval and land forces.
- 1939 – The first shopping cart was introduced by Sylvan Goldman in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- 1985 – The U.S. Supreme Court struck down Alabama’s “moment of silence” law saying that it was too similar to prayer in public schools.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved