Judge: Work on St. Louis’ Confederate Memorial must stop for at least for 2 weeks

St. Louis can’t take down the Confederate Memorial in Forest Park for at least two weeks, a judge ruled Monday.

The Missouri Civil War Museum sued the city last week, arguing it is the rightful owner. And St. Louis Circuit Judge Robert Dierker ruled there were enough questions about who owned the statue that work needed to stop. The case is scheduled to go to trial July 6.

The city gave the Confederate Monument Association of St. Louis permission to put the statue in Forest Park in 1914. Last week, the United Daughters of the Confederacy apparently gifted the statue to the museum last week.

“We want to make sure as the owner of the monument, that the monument is safely and correctly dismantled and then stored somewhere,” attorney Jay Kanzler, who represents the museum, said Monday.

Though the ordinance never mentions the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Kanzler said the Association was the fundraising arm for the Daughters.

But city attorney Michael Garvin argued that both the Confederate Monument Association, which helped raise the money for the monument, and the United Daughters had been absent for more than 100 years, and had therefore abandoned any claim to the statue.

“The ordinance says they have to maintain it,” Garvin said. “[The monument] has been defaced a number of times, and I’ve never seen the United Daughters of the Confederacy there to clean it off.”…

Source: Judge: Work on St. Louis’ Confederate Memorial must stop for at least for 2 weeks | St. Louis Public Radio