15 August 1935
On this date in 1935…
Southerner, Cherokee, comedian, social commentator, and actor, WillRogers was killed at the age of 55 in a plane crash with famed Southern aviator Wiley Post near Point Barrow, Alaska.
- 1911 – Crisco was introduced by Procter & Gamble Company and spurred a revolution in Southern kitchens.
- 1955 – Hurricane Connie dissipated after killing 43 people in the Carolinas, Virginia, and Maryland.
- 1962 – Shady Grove Baptist Church burned in Leesburg, Georgia.
- 1970 – Mrs. Pat Palinkas became the first woman to ‘play’ in a pro football game when she held the ball during a kick for the Orlando Panthers.
- 1995 – Shannon Faulkner became the first female cadet enrolled at The Citadel She dropped out after less than a week.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved