26 August 1920
On this date in 1920…
The ratification of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, guaranteeing American women the right to vote, was declared complete by the U.S. Secretary of State.
- 1791 – John Fitch was granted a U.S. patent for steamboats.
- 1842 The Caddo tribe signed a peace treaty with the Republic of Texas, pledging to encourage other tribes to sign treaties with the republic.
- 1873 – The first free kindergarten in the U.S. was started by Susan Blow outside St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1973 – The University of Texas at Arlington became the first accredited college to offer a course in belly dancing.
- 1987 – The Fuller Brush Company, that had sold its products door to door for 81 years, announced plans to open two retail stores in Dallas, Texas.
- 1990 – The bodies of two murdered college students were found in Gainesville, Florida.
© 2016 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved