18 October 1767
|One of the original Mason-Dixon Line Markers|
On this date in 1767…
Maryland and Pennsylvania agree on the Mason-Dixon Line as their boundary.
- 1676 – Nathaniel Bacon, leader of a rebellion against Virginia’s colonial government was killed at the age of 29.
- 1862 – Confederate General John H. Morgan’s cavalry seized Lexington, Kentucky.
- 1898 – The American flag was raised in Puerto Rico one year after the Caribbean nation won its independence from Spain.
- 1927 – George C. Scott, American actor/director famous for Patton and Dr. Strangelove was born in Wise, Virginia.
- 1939 – Lee Harvey Oswald, the presumed assassin of Pesident John F. Kennedy, was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1954 – Texas Instruments Inc. announced the first transistor radio.
- 1997 – A monument honoring U.S. servicewomen, past and present, was dedicated at Arlington National Cemetery.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved