3 December 2014
On this date in 2014…
Darren Wilson, the police officer who killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown in self-defense at Ferguson, Missouri, resigned in an attempt to ease racially motivated rioting in the town.
- 1799 – The Kentucky state legislature passed its second resolution to nullify the Alien and Sedition Acts.
- 1837 – Accompanied by Cherokee mediators, Mikanopy, and 30 other Seminole leaders arrive at Fort Mellon, near St.Augustine, Florida, today, under a flag of truce, to discuss peace. General Thomas Jesup, much to the shame of the Cherokee, took the Seminole hostage hoping to force the Seminole to surrender.
- 1828 – Andrew Jackson of Tennessee was elected president of the United States.
- 1947 – Tennessee William’s A Streetcar Named Desire opened on Broadway.
- 1950 – Tulsa, Oklahoma-native Paul Harvey began his national radio news broadcast.
- 1999 – Victoria Murden of Florida became the first woman to row across the Atlantic Ocean alone, taking 81 days.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved