24 December 1721
On this date in 1721…
French explorer Benard de la Harpe started an expedition up the Arkansas River. With 16 Frenchmen, he travelled all the way to the Rocky mountains and returned. La Harpe recommend establishing a trading posts along his route to New Mexico.
- 1798 – The Virginia state legislature passed James Madison’s Virginia Resolution to nullify the Alien and Sedition Acts.
- 1814 – The War of 1812 between the U.S. and England ended with the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in Belgium.
- 1851 – A fire devastated the Library of Congress in Washington, DC destroying about 35,000 volumes.
- 1865 – Several veterans of the Confederate Army formed what began as a private social club in Pulaski, Tennessee called the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1924 – A school in Babb’s Switch, Oklahoma caught fire killing 36 children.
- 2000 – The “Texas Seven” gang of escaped convicts held up a sports store in Irving, Texas. Police officer Aubrey Hawkins was killed during the robbery.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved