6 December 1884
On this date in 1884…
Workers placed the 3,300 pound marble capstone on the Washington Monument, completing construction of the 555-foot Egyptian-styled obelisk in Washington D.C.
- 1833 – Confederate Colonel and “Gray Ghost” John S. Mosby was born in Powhatan County, Virginia.
- 1865 The 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution abolished slavery.
- 1889 – Confederate President Jefferson Davis died and was buried at New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1907 – In Monongah, Western Virginia, 361 people were killed in America’s worst mine disaster.
- 1947 – The Everglades National Park in Florida was dedicated.
- 1957 – America’s first attempt at putting a satellite into orbit failed when the satellite blew up on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1987 – Three Missouri satanist teenagers were found to have beaten a friend to death for fun.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved