10 January 1807
On this date in 1807…
US President Thomas Jefferson charged former Vice-President Aaron Burr with treason for invading Louisiana with northern volunteers and attempting to incite a war with Spain so he could steal a large portion of land in the Louisiana Territory and eventually conquer Texas.
- 1811 – Slaves revolted in two Louisiana parishes.
- 1843 – Frank James was born in Clay County, Missouri.
- 1861 – North Carolina citizens seized Fort Caswell near Wilmington.
- 1861 – Louisiana state troops seized the federal arsenal and barracks at Baton Rouge.
- 1861 – Mississippi seized federal forts & property.
- 1861 – Florida formally recalled its delegated rights and seceded from the Union.
- 1870 – Georgia’s legislature reconvened.
- 1901 – The great gusher erupted in the oil well being drilled by mining engineer, Capt. A. F. Lucas at Spindletop, near Beaumont, Texas.
- 1967 – Lester Maddox was inaugurated as governor of Georgia.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved