5 January 1836
On this date in 1836…
Davy Crockett arrived in Texas on his way to San Antonio and eventually the Alamo.
- 1781 – A British naval expedition led by traitor Benedict Arnold captured and burned Richmond, Virginia.
- 1808 – Explorer William Clark married Julia Hancock in Fincastle, Virginia.
- 1822 – Confederate General Joseph B. Kershaw was born in Camden, South Carolina.
- 1861 – Alabama state troops seized Fort Morgan and Fort Gaines on Mobile Bay.
- 1925 – Mrs. Nellie Taylor Ross, formerly of St. Joseph, Missouri, was sworn in as the governor of Wyoming, becoming the first female governor of a U.S. state.
- 1982 – In McLean vs. Arkansas, federal judge William Overton ruled that an Arkansas Law requiring the teaching of Creation Science as a counterpoint to evolution was unconstitutional.
- 2002 – A 15 year-old student pilot, Charles Bishop, crashed a small plane into a building in Tampa, Florida. Bishop was about to begin a flying lesson when he took off without permission and without an instructor.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved