Judge says the Caddo Confederate monument can be moved

636404783398690835-2.JPG

Shreveport Times – A federal judge on Wednesday dismissed the lawsuit filed by the nonprofit organization to stop the removal of the Caddo Parish Confederate monument from courthouse grounds in Shreveport.

U.S. District Judge Robert G. James granted a parish commission request for a summary judgment to dismiss claims made by the United Daughters of the Confederacy’s Shreveport chapter.

Caddo Parish Commissioner Steven Jackson said he was pleased with the ruling.

“Today’s decision is yet another hurdle we have overcome toward turning a page on a dark period in history,” he said.

Jackie Nichols, spokesperson for the United Daughters’ Shreveport chapter, said their attorney is in the process of responding to this ruling with a notice to appeal.

The United Daughters filed suit after the parish commission, on close vote on Oct. 19, ordered the monument’s removal. Removal of Confederate monuments has prompted conflict in many communities across the South, including last year in New Orleans.

Source: Judge says the Caddo Confederate monument can be moved

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *