4 February 1861
On this date in 1861…
First session of the Provisional Confederate Congress began as delegates from six Southern states met at Montgomery, Alabama, to discuss forming a separate American government.
- 1783 – England proclaimed a formal end to the hostilities with its thirteen American colonies.
- 1789 – George Washington was unanimously elected as the first President of the United States by the U.S. Electoral College.
- 1801 John Marshall was sworn in as first Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1847 – The first Telegraph Company in the U.S. was established in Maryland.
- 1967 – Lunar Orbiter 3 lifted off from Cape Canaveral on its mission to identify possible landing sites for the Surveyor and Apollo spacecraft.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved