9 February 1861
On this date in 1861…
Mexican War hero, former Secretary of War, and U.S. Senator Jefferson Davis of Mississippi was elected by the provisional Confederate government as President and Alexander Stephens as Vice-President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1611 – While leading a Paspahegh war party near Jamestown, Virginia, Chief Wochinchopunck of the Powhatan Confederacy was killed killed by Cpt. William Powell during a fight with English colonists in Virginia
- 1861 – A vote for Tennessee secession failed.
- 1926 – Atlanta, Georgia schools forbid the teaching of the Darwin’s theory of evolution.
- 1960 – The first star was placed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame honoring Joanne Woodward of Thomasville, Georgia.
- 1989 – New York-based Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Co. completed the $25 billion purchase of RJR Nabisco, Inc.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved