20 February 1832
On this date in 1832…
After suffering floods, cold weather, and mud, Choctaw Chief, Peter Pitchlynn, and his surviving followers, arrived in Fort Smith, Arkansas on the Trail of Tears.
- 1792 – U.S. President George Washington signed the Postal Service Act that created the U.S. Post Office.
- 1809 – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled the power of the federal government was greater than that of any individual state.
- 1839 – The U.S. Congress prohibited dueling in the District of Columbia.
- 1861 – The provisional Confederate Congress founded the Confederate States Navy.
- 1864 – Confederate forces fought back a federal invasion force at the Battle of Olustee, Florida.
- 1877 – The first cantilever bridge in the U.S. was completed at Harrodsburg, Kentucky.
- 1933 – The U.S. House of Representatives completed congressional action on the amendment to repeal Prohibition.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved