26 March 1682
On this date in 1682…
French explorers under Robert Cavelier de La Salle made the first European contact the Natchez Indians. His Lieutenant, Henri de Tonti was first to meet the Natchez. De Tonti who would later found Arkansas Post was called “Iron Hand” because of his artificial hand he wore due to a battle injury.
- 1804 – The U.S. Congress orders the removal of all Indians east of Mississippi to Louisiana Territory.
- 1804 – The Territory of Orleans organized in the Louisiana Purchase.
- 1863 – Voters in Western Virginia approved the gradual emancipation of slaves.
- 1864 – Battle of Paducah, Kentucky.
- 1937 – Spinach growers in Crystal City, Texas, erected a statue of Popeye.
- 1958 – The U.S. Army launched America’s third successful satellite, Explorer III from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1982 – Ground breaking ceremonies were held in Washington, DC, for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved
Courtesy of KnowSouthernHistory.Org