31 March 1793
On this date in 1793…
Chickamauga Chief Captain Bench, and his followers attacked Moses Cockrell and several other whites leading pack animals across Powell’s Mountain. Cockrell was the only survivor of the party after outrunning Bench.
- 1818 – U.S. Troops commanded by General Andrew Jackson burned the Seminole town of Tallahassee in Florida during the First Seminole War.
- 1863 – John S. Mosby’s cavalry defeated Federals at Drainesville, Virginia.
- 1862 – Naval action at Island #10 on Mississippi River.
- 1902 – In Tennessee, 22 coal miners were killed by an explosion.
- 1945 – “The Glass Menagerie” by Tennessee Williams opened on Broadway.
- 1980 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter of Georgia deregulated the banking industry.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved
Courtesy of KnowSouthernHistory.Org