8 June 1845
On this date in 1845…
U.S. President and Battle of New Orleans hero General Andrew Jackson died at his home, The Hermitage, outside Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1862 – Confederates under General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson routed federal troops the Battle of Cross Keys in the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1861 – Tennesseans voted in open election to secede from the union.
- 1874 – Apache leader Cochise died in New Mexico Territory.
- 1969 – Authorities announced the capture in London of James Earl Ray, the suspected assassin of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
- 1991 – In the college baseball World Series, Louisiana State University won the NCAA championship defeating Wichita State, 6-3.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved