3 August 1975
On this date in 1975…
The Louisiana Superdome was dedicated in New Orleans, Louisiana. At that time, it was the largest enclosed stadium in the world.
- 1676 – Nathaniel Bacon of the ill-fated “Bacon’s Rebellion” published his “Declaration of the People of Virginia.”
- 1861 – A federal fleet bombarded Galveston, Texas.
- 1936 – Alabama native Jesse Owens won the first of four gold medals at the Berlin Olympic Games.
- 1984 – Mary Lou Retton of western Virginia won a gold medal for gymnastics at the Los Angeles Summer Olympics.
- 1985 – Mail service returned to the nudist colony in Paradise Lake, after residents promised that they’d wear clothes or stay out of sight during deliveries.
- 2008 – Actor Morgan Freeman was injured in an automobile accident near Ruleville, Mississippi, when his car flipped over several times on the highway.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved
Courtesy of KnowSouthernHistory.Org