7 October 1780
On this date in 7 October 1780…
A Patriot force of mountaineers and settlers defeated Tories and British rangers at the Battle of King’s Mountain, North Carolina and secured the frontier against further British attacks.
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus missed Florida when he changed course.
- 1800 – Gabriel, a slave revolt leader in Virginia was hanged.
- 1849 – Edgar Allen Poe died after being found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1861 – The Confederate States signed an alignment treaty with the Cherokee Nation. The Cherokee Braves flag was flown in honor of the event.
- 1916 – Georgia Tech, coached by John Heisman, defeated Cumberland 222-0, the most lopsided score in the history of college football.
- 2003 – Actor Randy Quaid of Houston, Texas received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 2004 -Actor-Director Billy Bob Thornton of Malvern, Arkansas got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved