12 October 1861
On this date in 1861…
The tiny Confederate ironclad Manassas attacked the massive war sloop USS Richmond on the Mississippi River south of New Orleans.
- 1773 – America’s first insane asylum opens for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- 1815 – Confederate General William Hardee was born.
- 1870 – Confederate General Robert E. Lee died and was buried in Lexington, Virginia.
- 1886 – A major hurricane struck Indianola, Texas. The winds and storm surge killed 250 people.
- 1996 – Members of all major Southern heritage groups met in summit at New Albany, Mississippi and issued the New Albany Declaration as a set of principles and objectives for the modern Southern Rights movement.
- 2015 – Dell Computer Corporation of Texas announced it was buying EMC for around $67 billion.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved