30 October 1866
|The James-Younger Gang in 1871|
On this date in 1866…
The Southern outlaws known as the James-Younger gang were accused of robbing a bank of $2000 in Lexington, Missouri.
- 1831 – After leading the bloodiest slave revolt in American history, Nat Turner was apprehended in Southampton County, Virginia.
- 1862 – A hurricane struck and foundered many of a fleet of 75 federal blockade ships off the North Carolina coast.
- 1875 – The reconstruction constitution of Missouri was ratified by popular vote.
- 1979 – Richard Arrington, Jr. was elected the first black mayor of Birmingham, Alabama.
- 2001 – Michael Jordan returned to the NBA with the Washington Wizards after a 3 1/2 year retirement.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved