17 November 1973
On this date in 1973…
President Nixon told an Associated Press managing editors meeting in Orlando, Florida, “People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I’m not a crook.”
- 1603 – Sir Walter Raleigh,founder of the lost Roanoke colony, went on trial for treason.
- 1800 – The U.S. Congress held its first session in Washington, DC, in the partially completed Capitol building.
- 1825 – A late-season hurricane caused great loss of life along the North Carolina coast.
- 1856 – On the Sonoita River the United States Army established Fort Buchanan in present-day southern Arizona, to help control land acquired by the Gadsden Purchase.
- 1863 – More than 100 Confederate troops were captured on Mustang Island off the Texas coast.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved