27 June 1974
On this date in 1874…
A Comanche war party attacked a group of twenty-eight buffalo hunters, including Bat Masterson, in what is now Hutchinson County, Texas. The buffalo hunters’ deadly long-range fire successfully held off Chief Quanah Parker and a band of more than 300 warriors in what became known as the Second Battle of Adobe Walls.
- 1829 – English scientist James Smithson died, leaving an endowment to the U.S. Government to further the knowledge of natural sciences.
- 1846 – The Smithsonian Institution was established at Washington D.C. by an act of the U.S. Congress.
- 1862 – The Battle of Gaines’ Mill, Virginia.
- 1864 – Army of Tennessee Confederates under General Joseph Johnston decimated the federal troops of General William TecumsehSherman at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia
- 1957 – Hurricane Audrey killed 526 people in Louisiana and Texas.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved