5 June 1956
On this date in 1956…
Elvis Presley scandalized the airwaves with suggestive hip movements while performing “Hound Dog”, on the Milton Berle Show. Network complaints from indignant viewers were so bad that for fifteen years, any future broadcast of Presley will only show him from the waist up.
- 1794 – The U.S. Congress prohibited citizens from serving in any foreign armed forces.
- 1837 – The Republic of Texas incorporated the city of Houston.
- 1863 – The Confederate cruiser C.S.S. Alabama captured the northern ship Tailsman in mid-Atlantic.
- 1917 – The World War I draft registration began.
- 2001 – Tropical Storm Allison brought heavy rains as it made landfall on the upper-Texas coastline and flooded Houston, causing $5.5 billion in damage, making Allison the most expensive tropical storm in U.S. history.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved