9 March 1862
On this date in 1862…
The U.S.S. Monitor and the C.S.S. Virginia fought the first battle between two totally ironclad armored warships.
- 1728 – A force of 250 volunteers from South Carolina, under Colonel John Parker, attack the Yamassee tribe living near the Spanish Mission of Nombre de Dios near St. Augustine in retaliation for their raiding English settlements.
- 1856 – Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was founded in the Johnston Mansion on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa.
- 1865 – Battle of Monroe’s Crossroads, North Carolina.
- 1916 – Five hundred soldados of Mexican bandit and revolutionary, Pancho Villa raided the U.S. Army outpost at Columbus, New Mexico, killing 92 soldiers and civilians.
- 2012 – Rock ‘n’ roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis (76) married his cousin’s ex-wife, Judith Brown (62) in Natchez, Mississippi.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved