29 October 1929
On this date in 1929…
Black Tuesday descended on the New York Stock Exchange. Prices collapsed amid panic selling and thousands of investors were wiped out as America’s Great Depression began. The American South was hardest hit.
- 1618 – Sir Walter Raleigh was beheaded under a sentence that had been brought against him 15 years earlier for conspiracy against King James I.
- 1877 – Confederate Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest died at Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1904 – First intercity trucking service opened between Colorado City and Snyder, Texas.
- 1940 – The first peacetime military draft began in the U.S.
- 1960 – Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) fo Louisville, Kentucky won his first professional fight.
- 1969 – The U.S. Supreme Court ordered an immediate end to all school segregation.
- 1995 – Jerry Rice of Starkville, Mississippi. p;aying for the San Francisco 49ers, became the NFL’s career leading receiver yards with 14,040 yards.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved