23 February 1847
On this date in 1847…
Jefferson Davis became a national hero at the head of his Mississippi troops in the Mexican War Battle of Buena Vista.
- 1836 – A large Mexican force commanded by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna arrived suddenly at San Antonio to begin the siege of Texas patriots in the Alamo.
- 1838 – Confederate General Gilbert Moxley Sorrel was born in Savanah, Georgia.
- 1861 – Texas became the 7th state to secede from the Union.
- 1869 – The Louisiana reconstruction governor signed the public accommodations law.
- 1870 – Mississippi was readmitted to the union.
- 1883 – Alabama became the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- 1983 – The United States Environmental Protection Agency announced its intent to buy out and evacuate the dioxin-contaminated community of Times Beach, Missouri.
- 1998 – Tornadoes struck Florida killing at least 31 people.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved