5 February 1861
On this date in 1861…
The provisional Confederate Congress passed a resolution to form the Confederate States of America.
- 1736 – Methodists John and Charles Wesley arrived in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1777 – Georgia became the first U.S. state to abolish both entail and primogeniture.
- 1778 – South Carolina became the first state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
- 1861 – All of the Louisiana delegation except one withdrew from Congress.
- 1865 – The Battle of Hatcher’s Run, Virginia began.
- 1971 – Edgar Mitchell of Apollo 14 became the first Southerner to walk on the moon. (Oral tradition says that he planted the first Confederate Flag on the moon for the Texas Division UDC, a fact only recently denied by NASA).
- 1988 – The Arizona House of Representatives voted to impeach Republican Governor Evan Mecham.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved