4 September 1957
On this date in 1957 the Central High Crisis began…
Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus called out the National Guard to preserve the peace when nine black students attempted to enter Central High School in Little Rock.
- 1862 – The C.S.S. Oreto ran the Federal blockade and made port at Mobile, Alabama.
- 1862 – General Lee invaded the North with 50,000 Confederate troops during the Maryland Campaign.
- 1864 – Confederate General John Hunt Morgan was killed at Greenville, Tennessee.
- 1864 – Bread riots broke out in Mobile, Alabama.
- 1886 – Geronimo and his band of Apache Indians surrendered in Arizona to U.S. Gen. Nelson Miles.
- 1921 – The first police broadcast was made by radio station WIL in St. Louis, Missouri.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved