19 December 1998
On this date in 1998…
The U.S. House of Representatives voted to approve and file two articles of impeachment against U.S. President William Jefferson Clinton.
- 1795 – Kentucky became the first state to appropriate public money for road building.
- 1823 – Georgia passed the first state law requiring registration of live birth in the U.S.
- 1828 – South Carolina declared the right of states to nullify federal laws.
- 1842 – Hawaiian independence was recognized by the U.S.
- 1862 – General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Confederate cavalry attacked the federal supply line on the railroad near Jackson, Tennessee.
- 1959 – Claiming to be the last veteran of the War of Northern Aggression, Walter Washington Williams died in Houston, Texas, at the age of 117.
- 1990 – Bo Jackson of Bessemer, Alabama, playing for the Los Angeles Raiders became the first athlete to be chosen for All Star Games of two sports.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved