8 February 1861
On this date in 1861…
Representatives of the assembled Southern states at Mongomery, Alabama adopted the Provisional Confederate States Constitution. This date became known as Confederate Constitution Day.
- 1693 – William & Mary college was chartered in the Dominion and Colony of Virginia making it the second college to be formed in North America.
- 1817 – Confederate General Richard Stoddert Ewell was born in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
- 1837 – During the 2nd Seminole War, a force of 600 Seminole led by Chiefs Phillip and Wildcat clashed with American troops led by Col. Alexander Fanning on the bank of Lake Monroe, near modern day Sanford, Florida. Both sides suffered heavy losses until steam-driven gunboat arrived to halt the Seminole advance.
- 1861 – Arkansas state troops seized the federal arsenal at Little Rock.
- 1862 – Battle of Roanoke Island, North Carolina.
- 1915 – Amid great fanfare D.W. Griffith’s masterpiece film The Birth of a Nation was first released.
- 1923 – A coal mine explosion at Dawson, New Mexico killed 120 miners.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved