19 May 1863
On this date in 1863…
Federal General Ulysses Grant attempted unsuccessfully to storm the Confederate stronghold of Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1795 – Johns Hopkins, founder of The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, was born at Anne Arundel, Maryland.
- 1796 – The first U.S. game law provided penalties for hunting or destroying game within Cherokee and Creek territory.
- 1865 – The C.S.S. Stonewall lowered its Confederate banner while anchored off Cuba.
- 1912 – The Associated Advertising Clubs of America held its first convention in Dallas, Texas.
- 1988 – Carlos Lehder Rivas, of Colombia’s Medellin drug cartel, was convicted in a Florida court of smuggling more than 3 tons of cocaine into the U.S.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved