3 January 1541
On this date in 1541…
Hernando de Soto visited the main Chickasaw town. He got guides and interpreters for a planned visit to the Chickasaw town of Caluc.
- 1823 – Stephen F. Austin received a land grant in Texas from the government of Mexico.
- 1861 – The Florida Secession Convention convened in Tallahassee.
- 1861 – Georgia state troops seized Forts Pulaski and Jackson in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1862 – The Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee continued from 31 December 1861.
- 1922 – Thomas E. Kirby was feautured on the Alabama Centennial half-dollar and became the first living person identified on a U.S. coin.
- 1967 – Jack Ruby, killer of Lee Harvey Oswald died in a Dallas, Texas hospital.
- 1983 – Tony Dorsett of the Dallas Cowboys made the longest run from scrimmage in NFL history, running 99 yards in a game against the Minnesota Vikings.
- 2001 – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms charged the “Texas 7” with weapons violations after the killing of officer Aubrey Hawkins, who they shot 11 times and ran over with a vehicle.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved