30 March 1822
On this date in 1822…
The U.S. Congress combined East and West Florida into Florida Territory.
- 1854 – Indians successfully defeated a company of U.S. Dragoons at Cieneguilla, New Mexico.
- 1862 – Federal troops attacked Union City, Tennessee.
- 1863 – Federal troops and Pin Indian allies attacked the Cherokee capital at Tahlequah, Indian Territory.
- 1870 – Texas became the last Confederate state readmitted to the union.
- 1909 – In Oklahoma, Seminole Indians revolted against lower pay for government jobs.
- 1910 – The Mississippi Legislature founded The University of Southern Mississippi at Hattiesburg.
- 1981 – President Ronald Reagan was shot and seriously injured outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John W. Hinckley Jr. Also wounded were White House news secretary James Brady, a Secret Service agent and a District of Columbia police officer.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved