6 February 1778
On this date in 1778…
France formalized its commitment to helping the American colonies defeat Great Britain by signing of the Treaty of Amity and Commerce and the Treaty of Alliance.
- 1832 – Confederate General, statesman, and first Commander in Chief of the United Confederate Veterans, John B. Gordon was born in Upson County, Georgia.
- 1833 – Confedrate General James Ewell Brown “J.E.B.” Stuart was born in Ararat, Virginia.
- 1834 – Confederate General William Dorsey Pender was born in Edgecombe County, North Carolina.
- 1861 – Apache leader Cochise sent Lt.George Bascom a note offering to exchange hostages. Bascom agreed but the exchange derailed. Cochise’s hostages were found a few days later.
- 1862 – Battle of Fort Henry, Tennessee.
- 1862 – On the Tennessee River the U.S.S. Conestago fought the C.S.S. Appleton Belle.
- 1862 – Federal general Ulysses S. Grant began his Mississippi campaign.
- 1911 – The first old-age home opened in Prescott, Arizona.
- 1956 – The University of Alabama suspended black student Autherine Lucy claiming that it could no longer provide for her safety.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved