14 November 1960
On this date in 1960…
Ray Charles‘ signature song, “Georgia On My Mind,” reached #1 on the U.S. record charts.
- 1851 – Lieutenant Colonel J.J. Abercrombie and members of the Fifth Infantry began the construction of Fort Phantom Hill, north of present-day Abilene, Texas.
- 1863 – The blockade-runner Terista was captured near the mouth of the Rio Grande in Texas.
- 1863 – Nathan Bedford Forrest was assigned the command of Western Tennessee.
- 1930 – Edward H. White II, Air Force Lt. Colonel and Gemini astronaut was born in San Antonio, Texas.
- 1969 – Apollo 12 blasted off for the moon from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1969 – Houston, Texas native Major General Bruno Arthur Hochmuth, commanding the Third Marine Division, became the first general to be killed in Vietnam by enemy fire
- 1970 – A DC-9 crashed in rural West Virginia, killing 75 passengers.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved