7 December 1831
On this date in 1831…
Indian Commissioners met with the Choctaw and the Chickasaw on Oaka Knoxabee Creek to again discuss the possibility of the Chickasaw sharing areas in the Indian Territory that had been set aside for the Choctaw. Both tribes objected to the government’s attempt to shortchange the original treaty.
- 1862 – Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas.
- 1868 – Jesse James’ gang was blamed for the bank robbery in Gallatin, Missouri. One bystander was killed.
- 1941 – Japanese carrier pla neds launche a suprize attack on the American fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, drawing the U.S. into WWII.
- 1946 – A fire at the Winecoff Hotel in Atlanta killed 119 people, America’s worst hotel fire disaster.
- 1972 – The last U.S. moon mission, Apollo 17 was launched at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1982 – In Texas, Charles Brooks, Jr. became the first person to be executed by lethal injection in the U.S.
- 1992 – The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a Mississippi law which, required women to get counseling and then wait 24 hours before an abortion.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved