6 January 2005
On this date in 2005…
Edgar Ray Killen was arrested for the 1964 murders of three Civil Rights workers.
- 1639 – Virginia was the first colony to order surplus tobacco crops destroyed.
- 1759 – George Washington and Martha Dandridge Custis were married.
- 1861 – Florida state troops siezed the federal arsenal at Apalachicola.
- 1912 – The former Confederate territory of New Mexico became the 47th US state.
- 1864 – Captain Albert Pfeiffer and a small force left Fort Canby to meet Kit Carson and force the Navajo in Canyon de Chelly, Arizona to move to the Bosque Redondo Reservation in New Mexico.
- 1912 – The former Confederate territory of New Mexico became the 47th U.S. state.
- 1963 – “Wild Kingdom” premiered on NBC hosted by Marlin Perkins of Carthage, Missouri.
- 1999 – The 106th U.S. Congress opened with the first item on the agenda being the impeachment proceedings of U.S. President Bill Clinton, set to begin January 7.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved