15 November 1992
On this date in 1992…
NASCAR legend Richard Petty retired after running the Hooters 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway with 200 career wins in the Winston Cup series.
- 1763 – Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began surveying the Mason-Dixon Line to set the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- 1777 – The Continental Congress formally adopted the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.
- 1824 – At Harrison’s Landing in Arkansas territory, the Quapaw tribe signed a treaty giving up their claim to land between the Arkansas Post and Little Rock, southward to the Saline River and agreeing to live on land promised to the Caddo.
- 1966 – The flight of Gemini 12 ended successfully as astronauts James A. Lovell and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin Jr. splashed down safely in the Atlantic Ocean off the Southern coast.
- 1969 – A quarter of a million protesters staged a peaceful demonstration in Washington, D.C., against the Vietnam War.
- 1995 – Texaco agreed to pay $176 million to settle a race-discrimination lawsuit.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved