23 March 1775
On this date in 1775…
Patrick Henry delivered the “Give me Liberty, or give me death!” speech to the Virginia Convention at St. John’s Church in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1730 – Sir Alexander Cuming held a council of 300 Cherokee Chiefs in Keowee, North Carolina. Cumming used threats and bribes to get the Cherokee to acknowledge George II of England as their Soveriegn ruler.
- 1862 – First Battle of Kernstown, VA
- 1889 – U.S. President Benjamin Harrison announced a plan to open part of Indian territory to white settlers.
- 1912 – The Dixie Cup was invented.
- 1925 – Tennessee became the first U.S. state to outlaw teaching the theory of evolution when its governor signed the Butler Act.
- 1965 – America’s first two-person space flight began as Gemini 3 blasted off from Cape Kennedy, Florida with astronauts Virgil I. Grissom and John W. Young aboard.
- 2005 – A major explosion at the Texas City Refinery kills 15 workers.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved