1 July 1941
On this date in 1941…
The U.S. Congress established the Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky.
- 1861 – The U.S. War Department decreed that Kansas and Tennessee were to be scoured for “volunteers” to bolster the federal army.
- 1862 – The Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia.
- 1863 – The Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania began when Confederate troops searching for shoes and other needed desperately supplies collided with federal cavalry.
- 1933 – Wiley Post of Texas became the first person to fly solo around the world, traveling 15,596 miles in seven days, 18 hours and 45 minutes.
- 1980 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter signed legislation that provided for 2 acres of land near the Lincoln Memorial for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved