31 December 1862
On this date in 1862…
The Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee began.
- 1794 – After agreeing to a peace with the United States on November 7th, the Cherokee, the Chickamauga band, and the U.S. exchanged prisoners, effectively ending the Chickamauga War.
- 1841 – Alabama became the first state to license dental surgeons.
- 1862 – Skirmish at Parker Cross Roads, Tennessee
- 1862 – U.S. President Abraham Lincoln signed the unconstitutional act admitting West Virginia to the Union.
- 1953 – Willie Shoemaker of Fabens, Texas broke his own record as he won his 485th race of the year.
- 1974 – Private citizens in the U.S. were allowed to buy and own gold for the first time simce the 1930’s.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved