9 July 1716
On this date in 1716…
Spanish missionaries established the Mission of Nuestra Senora deGuadalupe was established for the Nacanish and the Nocogdoche band of the Caddo tribe in what became Nacogdoches, Texas, the first stop for American settlers emigrating to Texas.
- 1776 – The American Declaration of Independence was read aloud to Gen. George Washington’s troops.
- 1846 – The territory of the District of Columbia south of the Potomac River (39 square miles) was returned to Virginia by Congress.
- 1864 – The Battle of Monocacy, Maryland.
- 1864 – Confederate General Jubal Early’s troops advanced on and threatened Washington, D.C.
- 1864 – Factory works and surrounding homes in New Manchester, GA were burned under direct order of federal General William Tecumseh Sherman. A wooden dam across Sweetwater creek was blown up causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of further destruction to civilian property.
- 1968 – The first All-Star baseball game to be played indoors took place at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas.
- 1985 – Herschel Walker of Wrightsville, Georgia, a player for the New Jersey Generals, was named the Most Valuable Player in the United States Football League.
- 2015 – The South Carolina House of Representatives approved taking down the Confederate flag from its compromise location at the Confederate monument on the Capitol grounds.
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved