25 March 1584
On this date in 1584…
Queen Elizabeth I granted Sir Walter Raleigh a charter for the colonization of North America. The colony was to be named Virginia.
- 1655 – Puritans jailed Governor Stone after a military victory over Catholic forces in the colony of Maryland.
- 1713 – European and Indian forces under general James Moore, son of South Carolina Governor James Mooreattack the Tuscarora fort of Nohoroco, North Carolina. In the fighting 192 Tuscarora are killed, and almost 400 taken prisoner. After this defeat, the Tuscarora cease to be a threat in North Carolina.
- 1776 – The Continental Congress authorized a medal for General George Washington.
- 1865 – Confederate forces captured Fort Stedman in Virginia.
- 1905 – Confederate battle flags that were captured during the War of Northern Aggression were returned to the Southern States.
- 1931 – The Scottsboro Boys, five young black men accused of raping a white woman, were arrested in Scotsboro, Alabama.
- 1941 – The first paprika mill was incorporated in Dollon, South Carolina.
- 1965 – The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. led 25,000 marchers to the state capitol in Montgomery, Alabama, to protest the denial of voting rights to blacks.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2022 KnowSouthernHistory.Org
All Rights Reserved