27 December 1836
On this date in 1836…
Texas pioneer and impresario Stephen F. Austin died at West Columbia, Texas after a lengthy illness resulting from his imprisonment in Mexico.
- 1761 – Creek Indians led by a chief known as “The Mortar” attacked several English in the “Long Canes” area of South Carolina killing 14 settlers.
- 1845 – Dr. Crawford Williamson Long used anesthesia for childbirth for the first time, the delivery of his own child in Jefferson, Georgia.
- 1860 – South Carolina troops seized Castle Pinckney and Fort Moultrie in Charleston Harbor. The U.S. Revenue Cutter William Aiken surrendered to South Carolina authorities.
- 1900 – Kentucky native and prohibitionist, Carrie Nation staged her first raid on a saloon at the Carey Hotel in Wichita, Kansas breaking every liquor bottle she could find.
- 1965 – The International Swimming Hall of Fame was dedicated in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved