9 October 1862
On this date in 1862…
Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry raided Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, during his ride around McClellan’s army.
- 1781 – The last major battle of the American Revolutionary War took place in Yorktown, Virginia when American forces, led by George Washington, defeated British troops under Lord Cornwallis.
- 1858 – Stagecoach mail service between San Francisco and St. Louis began.
- 1888 – The public was admitted to the Washington Monument for the first time.
- 1995 – The Amtrak Sunset Limited train was derailed by saboteurs near Palo Verde, Arizona.
- 2000 – Brett Hull of the Dallas Stars scored his 611th National Hockey League goal allowing him to pass his father, Bobby Hull, on the all time scoring list.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved