12 September 1880
On this date in 1880…
In 1880, Southern writer, editor, social critic, and beloved curmudgeon H.L. Mencken was born in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1722 – A hurricane struck the Louisiana coast, sinking a large number of ships near New Orleans.
- 1862 – Colonel Joe Porter’s Confederate troops raided Palmyra, Missouri in an effort to free the town from its occupation.
- 1928 – A hurricane in Florida killed 6,000.
- 1965 – Hurricane Betsy struck Florida and Louisiana killing 75.
- 1979 – Hurricane Frederick hit Mobile, Alabama, killing 5 and doing $23 million in damage.
- 1984 – University of North Carolina star Michael Jordan signed a seven-year contract to play basketball with the Chicago Bulls.
- 1984 – Florida-native Dwight Gooden while playimg for the New York Mets set a rookie strikeout record with his 251st strikeout of the season.
- 2003 – Legendary singer-songwriter Johnny Cash died at the age of 71 in Nashville, Tennessee.
© 2022 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved